What if I told you that you can watch a 45 min 720p video with a 180 Mo as a size ! I know it sounds crazy, and no, I am not exaggerating, finally you can watch your favorite movies, TV shows or videos in a higher quality and yet, a small size by using the new encoding generation called HEVC.
WHAT IS HEVC ?
HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) is the official successor to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, released under the terms of the GNU GPL, said to double the data compression ratio compared to H.264 at the same level of video quality.
For advanced users, and for those who want to know what’s new in H.265 compared to H.264, here is some features taken from the official H.265 page on VideoLan website:
- Full prediction and transform quad-tree recursion supported
- Adaptive B-frame placement
- B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
- CABAC entropy coding
- Intra: all block types (32×32, 16×16, 8×8, 4×4, and PCM with all predictions)
- Inter P: all partitions (from 64×64 down to 8×4)
- Inter B: partitions from 64×64 down to 8×4 (including all merge modes
- and biprediction)
- Weighted prediction for P slices
- Multiple reference frames
- Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, constant quality, single pass ABR, optional VBV
- Scenecut detection
- Parallel encoding on multiple CPUs, both frame-level and wavefront parallelism
H.264 VS H.265
Technically, here is way H.265 (HEVC) is far better than its old version H.264
Here is another example showing the same video using the two described video encoding.
This picture shows how H.265 is designed to use a more efficient means of encoding pixel data and incorporates larger blocks of pixels than H.264’s macroblocks did. It can divide a picture into tiles for more efficient parallel processing and decode slices independently for better resynchronization and offers better motion compensation processing and vector prediction.
WHERE TO DOWNLOAD HEVC MOVIES ?
As i mentioned in a previous article, the best website so far to download your favorite movies is PSARIPS, updated every day with a bunch of movies and TV shows all using HEVC encoding, you can reefer to the article for more informations about the website.
Latest posts by AYOUB BAHAR (see all)
- Facebook has yet proven than user privacy isn’t a priority! - April 21, 2020
- ISIM REST API Samples - July 10, 2019
- IBM DB2 HADR: Dummy guide - April 13, 2019